Dec 18, 2010

"You Don't Even Know"

  Luz Elena Mendoza @ Doug Fir Lounge

This photo was taken minutes after Luz's band, Y La Bamba, finished playing a sold-out gig at the Doug Fir.  She was absolutely vibrant coming off the stage and was down to celebrate by pulling some Tarot cards with me.  She took the ritual very seriously, explaining to me that Tarot requires a profound connection, "a marriage", between the reader and the cards.  She had me hold the cards in my left hand as she cut the deck, shuffled and picked.  When she pulled the Five of Swords, she nearly flipped her lid.  Upon this card "Death" is written.  Death has apparently been  a consistant theme with Luz:  "I always pick the Death card," she told me, "You don't even know how great this is.  You don't even know".  She was even more radiant than before, as though the personal profundity of the cards had interwoven with the rapture of playing music and brought her to that higher place.  It was a very genuine moment.  She returned the cards and as she was leaving, she clutched my arm and looked at me intently.  With an air of mystery and deep conviction, she whispered:  "Thank you... You don't even know".

No comments:

Post a Comment